For you yourself created my inmost parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. — Psalm 139:13
You are amazing! You, yes you…and every other human being on the planet. The human body is a fascinating creation. Here are some facts that show just how amazing we all are:
- As adults we have fewer bones than what we had as babies. During infancy, there are 350 bones present in out body, but as we grow the bones fuse and by the time we reach adulthood, we are only left with 206 bones.
- The length of blood vessels in our body would sum up to about 60,000 miles if they are laid end to end. Around 2000 gallons of blood is pumped through these vessels every day.
- The human lung contains around 3000 million tiny blood vessels known as capillaries. If these blood vessels were laid end to end they could stretch over an area of 1500 miles.
- Skin is the largest organ in the human body. The skin of an adult man can cover an area of approximately 20 sq. ft.
- Talking about the cells, the largest cell in the human body is the female egg, while the smallest cell is the male sperm.
- A man’s testicles produce around 10 million sperm cells every day. These are enough to repopulate the entire world within a period of 6 months
- The acids present in our stomach are strong enough to digest zinc. If our stomach was not capable of continuously producing new stomach lining, these strong acids would have digested our stomach.
- Every one knows that the human brain is very sharp, but not many people know that a single cell of the human brain has the capacity to store as much information as the information in 5 Encyclopedia Britannica’s.
- When it comes to supporting weight, the human bone has immense power. A single block of human bone, the size of a matchbox, has the capacity to support a whopping 9 tons.
- One of the most amazing facts about the human body is that it can give off heat enough to boil a gallon of water within half an hour.
- Although the human nose is not as sensitive as dogs, it can remember around 50,000 different scents with ease.
- Each of our fingernails and toenails take around 6 months to grow from its base to the tip. (Facts from buzzle.com. Thanks!
Isn’t it amazing that such a complex system functions with very little conscious thought on our parts? When was the last time you spent even one minute focusing on your breath or your heartbeat? When you sleep, your body continues its work, even repairing cellular damage and speeding growth while you rest. Yes, you are amazing. You are marvelously made. Give thanks to God for the gift of your amazing body. Even if it aches or creaks once in a while, it is still a miracle of creation, order, and grace.
For Further Reflection
Read Psalm 139: 1-6, 13-18. If you have gathered some pictures of yourself and family members at various life stages, take a close look at them. Notice the changes. Notice the similarities and physical traits that various family members share. Isn’t it amazing?
Light a candle if you have not already done so. Focus on your breathing. Inhale deeply and evenly through your nose. Hold the breath for just a second or two, and slowly and evenly exhale through your mouth. Do this for at least a minute. Keep a comfortable pace. Give thanks for the gift of each breath. Now focus on your heartbeat. Imagine how your heart pumps the blood, carrying oxygen to your cells from the top of your head to the tips of toes. Your heart, lungs, arteries, veins, and capillaries work together to see that your body has the blood and oxygen you need. Yes, you are marvelously made.
Give thanks for your health. If you have or are experiencing health problems, give thanks for physicians, medicine, and medical facilities that make treating your condition possible.